The International Tennis Federation (ITF) on Thursday announced that it will distribute $350,000 to help players ranked 501 to 700 in ATP or WTA singles and 176 to 300 in doubles affected by the COVID-19 crisis.
Having previously contributed to the joint Player Relief Programme for players inside the top 500, the ITF announced it had made an additional $350,000 available to support players ranked ATP/WTA 501-700 in singles “and/or 176-300 in doubles”.
The funding will be distributed in the form of development grants to eligible players via national associations, with singles players ranked 501600 receiving $1,000, and doubles players ranked 176300 and singles players ranked 601-700 receiving $750, said ITF.
ITF President David Haggerty said: “Despite the significant challenges that have resulted from this pandemic, the ITF has been resolute in our desire to help as many of our stakeholders as possible.”
“We do not have unlimited resources, so we have focused our efforts where they are most needed.
“There remains much uncertainty, but I am confident that as we continue to pull together and make the right decisions, tennis will make a strong recovery,” he added.
Since professional tennis was suspended on 12 March, the ITF has seen more than 1,100 of its events cancelled or postponed. Professional tennis currently remains suspended till July 31 due to coronavirus pandemic which has so far claimed more than 4 lakh lives across the world.
Disclaimer: This story/news is syndicated from news agency. SportsNewsPost staff didn’t edit it.